- 3 Tbsp safflower or canola oil
- 2 cups moong dal, split lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 lemon (for juice)
- 1 Tbsp Bina’s Roasted Cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Optional: Cilantro and Cumin seeds (garnish)
- (Optional) Soak lentils overnight.
- Rinse the lentils. Place lentils and water in a pot over high heat. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 45-55 minutes for desired consistency. If soaked overnight, reduce cooking time by 10-15 minutes.
- While the lentils cook, finely dice the onion, carrot and celery.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of safflower or canola oil in a pan over medium-high heat, until hot but not smoking. Add the diced vegetables. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are soft.
- To the softened vegetables, add boiled lentils, Roasted Cumin, tomato paste, squeeze juice of half a lemon. Finally, add salt to taste and mix all ingredients thoroughly to combine.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and enjoy!
For a variation with meat, try adding cooked Italian sausage to this recipe.