My Feisty Tiger Spice Mix highlights the eastern part of India, Bengal, known for its tigers, as well as the fragrant spices commonly grown here, including kalonji or nigella (onion seeds), methi (fenugreek), fennel, cumin, and mustard.
When I created this blend, I based it on panch phoron, or Indian Five Spice Blend, an essential spice combination in the Bengali region of India. This spice mix has a strong, earthy aroma, and a pungent, nutty flavor with a slight bitterness. It has a unique flavor which enhances curries, dahls, lentils, rice pilaf, and raita, and on vegetables and various meats. Enhances the flavor of any dish and aids in digestion. My blend has five of the six tastes of Ayurveda, which are sweet, sour, bitter, pungent, astringent, and salty. Having a variety of tastes helps maintain balanced nutrition and helps you feel satisfied.
Cumin, fennel, fenugreek (methi), mustard, onion seeds (kalonji/nigella).
Use Feisty Tiger Spice Mix in many dishes:
• Add to stir-fried or roasted veggies or your favorite meatloaf or pot roast recipe
• Make a dry or wet rub for beef, lamb, chicken, or fish
• Marinate shellfish or any meats
• Sprinkle on stews, soups, potatoes, eggs, and savory salads
• Mix into plain yogurt to make a delicious dip for a raw veggie traySEE RECIPES